Traveling With Kids: Things to Remember

Life is a highway, and I want to ride it all night long- sure, as long as I don’t have a bunch of attention-deprived kids screaming in the backseat as I drive!  It’s a breath of fresh air to finally have gotten them to agree to step out of the house, put down the Wii console, and venture into places we’ve never been before, but with their short attention spans taking over, I can hardly keep my eye on the road without having to glance at the rearview mirror to see if the kids are ok.  Thank heavens I read about The Guardian 50 tips for travelling with kids the night before.  A single mom like me does get by with a little help from online articles.

The key to surviving long road trips with children is to keep them entertained.   Try popping in that Barney CD, even your ears hurt from listening to it over and over again.  Play I Spy and other classic car games.    It also helps to travel at night, so the kids will nap most of the way.

If motion sickness gets the better of your kids, open a window and do keep a bag ready- just in case.  Try preventing untoward incidents by making sure everyone in the family isn’t hungry or thirsty.

To save on travel time, plan your trip ahead and take the shortest route possible.  Ask around for any ongoing roadwork, so you can take alternate routes.

It goes without saying that safety is an important concern when travelling with kids.  That Direct gov using a seat belt advisory can be put to good use this time.  Tell your kids to buckle up, even if that means arm-wrestling them just to have your way.

Be a responsible parent and make sure that your car is in tiptop, roadworthy condition.  Check the brakes, lights, water, oil, etc.  Be sure that you have car insurance, to help keep your mind at ease, in case of any eventuality.

Near or far, travelling with kids is always a worthwhile experience.  They learn things which they normally wouldn’t in the confines of the four walls of the classroom.  Travel opens up a whole world of discovery for them.  You get to see aspects of their personality you’ve never seen before, and you yourself inevitably get to unleash certain facets of your persona which only traveling with your children manages to bring out.  It’s a win-win situation, so go ahead, pack your bags, be like Dora the Explorer and travel the world!

References:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Pepper

I am a single working mom, trying to raise my kid the best way I know how. Join me as I navigate my way through the jungle that is Single Mom-hood, armed with rose-colored glasses and strength of spirit. As pepper adds spice to food, so does my daughter add spice to my life. She makes life no less than…PEPPERRIFIC!

Catch me on G+.

Comments

1. Jean says:

This is a really great post. If the kids aren’t entertained then the whole trip is torture!! :)

2. AnneM says:

I love the tips here, very simple yet practical. I took a 3 hour trip with my 4 year old and didn’t prepare much for it. It was okay naman but he kept asking, “Are we there yet?”, which I found funny. He must have repeated it every 20 mins or so for 2 hours.

3. Carla Karam says:

Great post! Although my sons are now in their twenties, I fondly remember all our road trips. What always worked for me, was driving through the night. I highly recommend it. I would pack the car up two days before; snacks packed by the door; nap the day of the trip during the day and we would take off after dinner time. The boys would sleep most of the trip, and I would get to listen to “my” music. wink, wink Less potty stops and rustling in the back too. Blessings, Carla

4. Karen says:

Good tips! Safe travels wherever the holidays take you!

5. levy says:

very nice tips. I agree with you “Happy passengers make for a happy driver” Merry Christmas dear Pepper! Hope to see you soon :0

6. momto8blog says:

My kids learned a lot of songs traveling in the car! the money spent on music tapes were well worth the investment.

7. Packsize says:

I used to get motion sick all the time and some of these tips could have saved my family a lot of gried while we traveled. Thanks so much for posting!

8. It is really important to be precautious when travelling with kids. This post explains the details well. Thank you for updating.

9. Anna Imelda says:

Dear, Pepper.. I love your words..
    * Near or far, travelling with kids is always a worthwhile experience.
    * Travel opens up a whole world of discovery for them.
    Children are our jewels. Give the best for them.
    Thank’s for sharing.. Hmm, I love my kids..

10. Danny says:

Good article. i can certainly vouch for the view that travel is good for kids. It certainly helped me when I was younger to open my eyes and see all the possibilities that are out there. I think as long as we take a few small steps as outlined in the above post we can keep them safe. The positives outweigh the negatives so keep travelling! I try to do as much as possible with my own kids

11. I try to keep my kids entertained by buying books from the best childrens book illustrators so that they will have their eyes glued to something they like instead of screaming in my ears. It works so far for me, but any new suggestions are always welcome.

• Pepper says:

Book illustrators do have the tough job of making illustrations attractive to kids. Sometimes, they even do a better job than the author :) . Thanks for the visit.

12. Elis Stuart says:

When I was a kid, my father and my mother always had been to various places. No fancy or expensive but I am very happy to take a walk with them. And now, I also do it for my children. Pepper, thank you for restoring my memories.

13. Simon says:

Travelling with kids = Nightmare!

lol….nice article