For the majority, the holiday season is the busiest time of the year as they juggle shopping for Christmas gifts, attending numerous parties, and maintaining their regular routine at home and at work. That is why for most people, the holiday months are a big challenge to continue with their fitness program.
It is during this time that their schedule is so jam-packed that they can’t find the time to hit the gym to do their normal exercise routine, or they find it hard to stay away from the temptation of eating food rich in sugar and calories as they attend different parties which teem with good food.
Here are some tips on how to help you stay on track with your fitness program to help you lose or maintain your weight during the busy holiday season:
- Plan for the holiday season. Set realistic health goals that you think you can maintain and stick to them. Track your eating and exercise by keeping a health journal, which can be a big help for you to stay on track.
- Set a date for exercise. Exercise is one of the most important ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle and it is during this time that it is most important not to skip it. Your hectic schedule can affect your body and your health might suffer, so exercise can be one of the best ways to take care of your body. Set a date on your calendar to do workouts, and remind yourself not to miss this schedule no matter how busy you are.
- Make smart choices when eating. I know it is the holiday season and it is time to indulge and to party but you should also know your limit. You don’t have to say “Yes” to every kind of food that is offered to you. Before going to a party, try to eat something like some healthy soup, crackers, or nuts to fill you up. This will make you less likely to overeat. Don’t skip meals. Instead, take smaller and frequent meals, so you will have no problem controlling your appetite at the buffet table. If you want to indulge in a dessert, just limit yourself to one treat and portion control it.
- Watch what you drink. Alcoholic beverages are always present in any holiday get together so be careful what you drink. Avoid mixed drinks as they have high calorie content.
- Turn daily routines or household chores into an opportunity to exercise. Walk from the parking lot to the main entrance of the mall as you do your holiday shopping, use the stairs when moving between floors in your office, scrub the floor to clean up for the holidays, etc.
With parties surrounded by good food and overflowing drinks beckoning you here and there, make sure that you stick to your diet plans, so you don’t pack on the extra pounds. You can still enjoy the festivities while still being healthy with the help of the tips mentioned above.
Author’s Bio: Abie is a health blogger who writes about different topics like Vitamin D and other health supplements. She also works as content writer and her latest project is for the site JGSupplements.com.