The first time in my life when I felt like a celebrity was when I turned 18. At my debut party, my closest friends from school surprised me with their a cappella rendition of James Taylor’s You’ve Got a Friend. I thought that was really sweet, although I wanted to cringe from all the attention I wasn’t so used to getting.
So, this got me to thinking about how one can be a good friend. The term BFF has become so popular these days that I wonder if we really know what it means to be somebody’s best friend.
Off the top of my head, here are 20 ways you can be the best friend ever:
- Sing her a song for her birthday. This could be any song in your vocal chord range. Even You’ve Got a Friend in Me from Toy Story should work.
- Cheer her on at her pole dancing recital. Supporting her just when she needs it speaks volumes.
- Tell her she looks fat. Instead of sugarcoating things, be honest and tell her when her excess fat is bursting at the seams. Better you tell her than somebody else, right?
- Correct her grammar. A true friend wouldn’t want her friend to be embarrassed when in front of many people. So while it’s just the two of you, go ahead and tactfully improve her flaws.
- Eat together. There’s nothing like dining with your friend to bring you two closer.
- Drink together. So if she unintentionally gets drunk, you’d be there to drag her puke-infested body home.
- Listen to her. It helps ease the pain when you share the burden just by listening to your friend vent.
- Give her space.
- Don’t be jealous of her other friends.
- Be honest with her. Never lie to your friend.
- Fix her hair. If you have a knack for hairdressing, have a primping session with your friend.
- Be there when you say you will.
- Stand up for her. Show her that you’ve got her back.
- Email or Skype regularly. Bridge the gap from long-distance friendships by constantly communicating with your friend.
- Don’t flirt with her boyfriend. Seriously.
- Don’t flirt with her husband. Even more seriously.
- Do little things for her. Offer to look after your single-mom-friend’s kid while she’s away doing errands.
- Laugh with her. Share the silliest, foot-stomping jokes with her.
- Trust her. Trust her with your darkest secrets. Trust that she’ll also be there for you when you need her.
- A real friend calls. Coincidentally, Globe Telecom has an ongoing promo which lets you make calls for cheap. “With GoUnli20, it’s now easy to call without a need for a prefix and it’s just P20 for unli calls, 15mb of mobile surfing, and 20 texts to all networks! Kaya if you need a friend, don’t call me, I’ll call you!”